Friday, March 30, 2012

No-Cook Playdough

Pin It
After cooking four megabatches of homemade dough, I was really looking forward to making one that didn't involve a stove.

The ingredients are nearly identical to the classic dough, but with the promise of no cooking, this could be a home run.

Ingredients:

3.5-4* c. flour
3 Tbs cream of tartar
1 c. salt
6-8* Tbs oil (scented or not)
food coloring
4 c. boiling water

*I started with 3c flour and 4 Tbs oil as instructed by my recipe.  It was obvious that this wasn't going to work, so I continuously added more flour and oil.  This dough was very sticky when I made it.  As it cooled I worked in some additional flour (I got up to 4c) and oil (I used about 6 Tbs I think.  I got frustrated and just poured at one point...).  Let it cool (maybe on a cookie sheet?) and then keep working with it until you get it to where you want it.

Put all the ingredients into a bowl, adding the water last.  Stir.

And keep stirring.

I wanted it to be orange, so I squirted red and yellow food coloring gel into the flower.  It made for some very vibrant spots! I really liked the tye-dye look while it lasted, which wasn't too long with all the kneading.


5 doughs made, 1 bought, and all we need are some friends to test it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment