Wednesday, October 7, 2015

One Minute (and two hour) Fudge

Pin It
Maybe you have seen Tip Hero's Easy Microwave Fudge video that has gone viral on Facebook. Maybe not, but I'm betting you are interested now. Because it promises fudge from your microwave. 

I've tried many of these little 30-second shorts that always have text imposed over artsy videos of pouring ingredients into a glass bowl while someone plays whimsical, generic chords on a ukelele and poof! something delicious appears. Many times I have been disappointed.

But not this time, dear reader. This time, we win.

The cutesy video instructs you mix 3 cups of any candy melting chips (I used 2 cups of semi-sweet and one cup of dark chocolate) with one 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk. I microwaved mine for the instructed one minute, stirred, and then added another 20 seconds, because it was still fairly chunky after vigorous stirring. 

Then, you pour it into a container lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. In the video, they use a square baking dish. I used a plastic storage container, because I wanted more depth to my fudge. If I did this for a party, I'd double the amount and pour it into a loaf pan, for a legit brick of fudge that can be sliced.

The last step before "destroy" is to let it cool in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Fortunately, I had to leave the house, so I wasn't tempted to poke at it every 12 seconds. 

Upon arriving home, I opened the container, peeled off the foil and... had some concerns. The one in the video was much prettier. 


But whatever. I'm not about presentation.

I sliced off a bit, just to see, and sampled a small piece.


Now, I know there are die-hard fudge people. I married one. The consistency is off. This is fudge like mug cake is a cupcake. Of course it isn't perfect, because you didn't put the time and love of the real stuff into it. It is perfectly good for what it is - quick, easy, and stuff you likely have on hand. It is chocolate. You just need to wait a few hours for it. 



Ideas: 

Use a cup (or more) of butterscotch or peanut butter chips.

Stir in some Heath.

Press walnuts or salted almonds into the top (pieces, of course)

Put nuts and mini marshmallows at the bottom of the pan before pouring in the fudge, or just stir them into the fudge.

Prepare 2 cups of milk chocolate separate from one cup of dark chocolate (or white, or any other chips) and mix at the last minute, for a swirl effect.


The possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment