Thursday, May 17, 2012

Dog Treats, Baby Treats, it is all the same...

Pin It
I'm still here.  As it turns out, parenting a toddler and puppy takes all of my time and energy.  I'm up to two cups of coffee a day, which is big for me.

I have about a million posts, in picture form, on my computer.  I'll get them up some day.  (Or I'll spend that day reading and taking a bath...)

This one is from last month, when we first got our puppy.  We bought the best puppy treats - all natural, no filler, 3 1/2 calories per treat (really, that is an advertised point on the treat bag...) just in case our baby got ahold of them.

And she did.  Over and over and over... and the kibble.  I can not keep her out of the kibble.

I'm a good cook.  V. loves my cooking.  Just as I was starting to wonder if it was an issue of her not having taste buds or them being that good, I realized it was that the puppy was getting them and she was not.  Pure sibling jealousy.  I am so glad we got a puppy before having another baby, because her jealousy is strong, as is her right hook.

Solution: Treats that are puppy and baby friendly.

These are super easy, and the dough is like play-do, so if you have a kid that can help, please do.

Pets Web MD says that sugar is very bad for dogs.  You know, I'm not sure, so I figured I'd avoid it.

Here is what I did.  I hope to experiment with more flavors and find a crunchier recipe when I have time.  (Ha. HA.  Hahahahhahahha.)

Preheat oven to 375.  I did one batch on a lined cookie sheet, one off, and really, it didn't matter.  Line some cookie sheets if you want.  Or don't.

In a bowl mix:

2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder

Then fold in:
1 cup peanut butter (crunchy or smooth - we used Teddy Bear Natural - no sugar)
a healthy squirt of honey - I used about 1 tbsp and will likely double it next time
1 c. milk

Someone found the peanut butter jar...

Then just keep kneading.
When it resembles crumbly play-do, turn it out on the counter and


Elephant optional.
Roll the dough 1/4 inch thick, and place on a baking sheet.  I cut out big hearts, then smaller hearts from the center (and all extra dough).  Big cookies for the toddler, little ones for the puppy.  



 Baking time will completely depend on what size cookie cutter you used.  The bigger hearts took about 10 minutes, and the bites about 6.  Because it is peanut butter, they will burn quickly.  The best I can tell you is keep a close eye on it, and if you smell them, look at them.


Then teach everyone to sit, stay, and lay down!

Puppy Approved

Kid Approved


And this is how that cooking adventure ended:


No comments:

Post a Comment