Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Matzoh Matzoh Bark

Pin It

It is part of Pesach tradition that people try to mask matzoh and make some amazing thing using matzoh instead of flour.  Then everyone takes a bite and complains about how it isn't as good as the real thing.

Having been raised Catholic, I get the complaining.  Being a great cook, I refuse to accept it.

I embrace matzoh.  And I don't put it where it doesn't belong.  

My mother-in-law asked me to bring my matzoh bark, even though I had my eye on a cake.  (Fortunately, my sister-in-law is every bit the chocoholic that I am, and made the chocolate almond cake I had been dreaming of.  I pained myself to eat a nice big piece, regardless of how overstuffed I was.)

Ever make bark?  It is delicious and simple.  When I taught, I would whip some of this up after holidays that involve candy, using the candy as topper.  Winter holidays?  Use candy canes.  Halloween?  Anything you have left in your bowl.  (See my Halloween bark recipe here.)

Passover is a little different, because you need to use matzoh and you can't top it with just anything.  (Certainly not Butterfingers.)

If you are serving this at a seder, you are going to want to use the non-dairy options.

I made 2 batches.  The recipe below is for one batch.

You will need:

For the caramel:
1/2 stick (2 oz., or 1/4 cup) of butter (dairy) or margarine (parve)
2 Tbs honey
1 c. white sugar (you can use vanilla-scented sugar - it is delicious)

For the rest:
3-ish sheets of matzoh
5 oz (1/2 bag) of chocolate chips - these are parve and kosher of Passover - I found them at Star
toppers - I used sea salt, slivered almonds, chopped dried apricots, and shaved coconut.


To make the caramel, put all ingredients into a pan and stir until sugar is melted.  Then, bring it to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and don't stir it until it is good and golden.  It is hard to resist and easy to burn.  Somewhere in here I always believe I can be one of those Food Challenge competitors that makes brilliantly delicate sugar candies for cakes, and get so caught up in making thin, golden strands of delicious that I come very near to ruining the whole batch.  So try not to do that.

While you can't stir the caramel, line a rimmed sheet (I used a cake pan - all my cookie sheets lack sides) with parchment paper or aluminum foil.  Spray with non-stick spray or use a little margarine.  (Pam is not Kosher for Passover.)
Place the matzoh on the sheet, covering the entire bottom.  You may need to break it up a bit, or overlap it.  Just don't leave any gaps.

Once your caramel looks like this:
pour it over your matzoh.


Then you can eat whatever is left on your spoon.
Yes.

Now, melt your chocolate.  I like to put mine in a glass mixing bowl in the microwave and heat it slowly, on half power, stirring every 10-20 seconds.  Chocolate melts from the bottom and burns easily, so stir it, even if it looks like the chips are still whole.  You may be surprised.

Spread the chocolate over your caramel and top immediately with whatever delicious you have chosen.


The two trays of finished product:



Let this cool until the chocolate is hardened and break it apart.  It is that easy!



No comments:

Post a Comment