Sunday, April 29, 2012

Wonton Wrapper Love

Pin It I love wonton wrappers.  They take dishes like kreplach and ravioli from a day project to a 45 minute or less project.





I recently used wonton wrappers for both of those dishes.

Kreplach: 

Kreplach are Jewish dumplings served in broth.  I had some matzoh ball soup with way too much broth and too few matzoh balls left over from the week before, and wanted to give the soup some new life.

Filling:
1lb ground chicken breast
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 tsp fennel seed
pinch of salt

Saute the carrots and onion in a drizzle of olive oil.  Remove from pan and brown chicken breast with fennel seed and salt.  Put the veggies and meat in a food processer and whir.

To assemble, wet the edges of one wonton wrapper square.  Place a small pile of filling on the square.  Fold the wrapper in half, making a triangle, and squeeze the edges shut.  Drop into boiling broth or refrigerate in an air-tight container until needed, up to 8 hours.

These cook in seconds, so if you are having the soup for dinner, put them in right before serving.
(The wrappers I used were NOT Kosher for Passover, but are parve, which is why I did this the week after Passover.)


Then, the Ravioli:

I thought I'd up my ravioli game and make them different shapes to amuse my daughter.

You can fill your ravioli with whatever you like.  I used about 14oz ricotta cheese, about 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella, and some pecorino romano, moistened with a little milk.

You can use any cookie cutters that will fit within the boundaries of your wrapper.  I used a ravioli stamp (square, and crimps the edges shut), circle (a glass), and folded some in half for triangles.

Wet the wrapper edges (or the whole thing, if you get tired like I did) and place a dollop of filling in the center.  Cover with another wrapper with wet edges, and try and get the air out as you press the wrappers together, squeezing from the inside, working outward.  Cut out your shapes.

Like the kreplach, either store in an air-tight container for up to 8 hours, refrigerated, or drop into boiling, salted water to cook.  These will cook very fast!  Best served with sneaky sauce.




Put It All Together:


I had filling from both the kreplach and ravioli, plus the wonton that I cut the ravioli from, and some sneaky sauce left over, taking up half my refrigerator.  I took all the ends of my pasta boxes (you know how you get to the point where you have 1/2 c of pasta left in the bottom of 4 boxes, all different types?  Agh.) and cooked them up al dente, tossed it in a bowl with both leftover fillings and sauce and the last of the pulled pork.  I tossed it all in a lightly greased casserole dish and topped with some more mozzarella.  Pop it in a hot (375 F) oven until cooked through and the cheese on top is melty, and you have one of our favorite dinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment